[TenTec] Omni VI Main Tuning Knob

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni VI Main Tuning Knob
From: ad4yh@nortel.ca (Dale Pendleton)
Date: 10 Nov 1997 09:38 EST
I HAVE A PARAGON II WITH THE SAME TUNING KNOB...TAKE THE KNOB
APART AND COMPLETELY REMOVE THE TENSION SPRING...
          ==========
THE LITTLE FELT PAD ON THE END OF THE TENSION SPRING WILL EVENTUALLY
WEAR AND CAUSE THE END OF THE SPRING ARM TO JUST PLAIN SCRATCH THE AREA
UNDER WHERE IT RIDES. WHEN THIS HAPPENS, THE KNOB WILL FEEL ROUGH AND
UNEVEN, AND HAVE A NOISY SCRATCHING KIND O' SOUND WHEN YOU TURN IT.
WITH THE TENSION SPRING GONE, THE KNOB WILL BE NICE AND SMOOTH!

TEN TEC SHOULD RE-DESIGN THIS OR NOT INSTALL THE TENSION
SPRING AT ALL.

ZUT AD4YH

>Thanks to all who responded to my note below. I was able to correct the
>problem by removing the knob and loosing the retaining hardware on the
>shaft. Before loosing the retaining nut behind the tuning knob, I was barely
>able to turn the shaft with my fingers. It took an unbelievable amount of
>torque to loosen the retaining nut itself ... it was really cinched tight!
>After I backed the nut off about 1/2 turn, all the binding problems
>disappeared.
>
>Again, thanks to all who responded.
>
>Dennis, K7FL
>Oregon City, OR.
>ashworth@hevanet.com
>
>=== begin original message ===
>
>I received my Omni VI from the factory after the infamous "Plus" upgrade
>this week (#379 for those keeping count). The upgrade is fantastic, but
>unfortunately (and certainly unrelated) the VFO knob binds. Too bad ... it

>was perfect before I returned the radio so I suspect something went amuck
>during shipping or ???

SOMEONE AT THE FACTORY EITHER PUT ON AN NEW TENSION SPRING OR ADJUSTED
WHAT YOU HAD DIFFERENTLY.