[TenTec] Tuner for Corsair II

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Tuner for Corsair II
From: kr4wm@sccoast.net (Web Williams)
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 1997 07:55:36 -0500
In my opinion, there is no Ten Tec tuner which perfectly
matches the Corsair II. The knobs on the 238 are wrong,
and the 229's cabinet shape is wrong! I bought the
Ten Tec Centurion amp, which has "gripped" knobs, the 238
has "gripped" knobs, my Corsair II has "fluted" knobs,
and my auxiliary VFO has "fluted" knobs. I have an old 229B
tuner that I could take the fluted knobs off of, and put
them on the 238 tuner, but then it wouldn't be a 238 tuner
anymore, eh? Then I'd have to find another set of fluted
knobs for the Centurion amp so it would match everything
else, where does it end? There are also "spinner" and
"finger-hole" variations that would have to be sorted
through. I'd also have a hard time selling my 229B tuner
with non-original knobs- and, perhaps Ten Tec never made
a color-matched auxiliary VFO for the Corsair II. I found
a brown one, but have never seen a light grey one. Don't
take my word for it though, I'm sure one exists somewhere!

Alas, the woes of the second-hand Ten Tec owner! Good luck,
and God be with you, whatever you find in your choices!

73, -Web