[TenTec] SSB Xtals

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] SSB Xtals
From: turner@safety.ics.uci.edu (Clark Savage Turner WA3JPG)
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 16:01:21 -0800
> Does anyone know if the potential order of a 2.7 Khz SSB filter (or pair
> of them for each transceiver) is now a dead horse??  I know that this was
> in discussion for a while along with the CW filter.

I have not heard this directly from Ten Tec, but the word is that
their engineers feel that this would be problematic for the transceiver
for some reason, and that the wider filter would cause problems.  I
don't quite understand that myself, but as I am not an engineer,
can't second guess them.  My own disappointment is that I have
outfitted one Kenwood 440 with a pair of 2.7 kHz filters and I
just love the sound of the SSB coming out of that rig.  Wanted the
same for my beloved OMNI VI.

Hey, anyone get down on 160 and use their extra CW filters to dig out
the little weak ones in between the 60 db over S9 signals right next
door?  The OMNI VI really shows its colors during the late evening
on a 160 contest.

Clark
WA3JPG