Two months ago I sold my Ten Tec Paragon w/Timewave DSP 59+. I replaced the
Paragon with a new Icom 756 and had the following experience:
* Icom's DSP didn't function as well as the Timewave added to the paragon.
Icom's IF DSP functions outside the AGC circuit and has little effect on QRN.
Timewave's audio DSP is excellent and makes the Paragon a "state of the art
* Icom's internal keyer does not function well ....when keying above 30 WPM I
got very poor reports. One needs to run an outboard keyer with the Icom 756.
Actually, an outboard keyer and no QSK is best for the 756.
* The spectrum scope does not function with signals below S-4
* AGC seemed slow and not adjustable
* Speech processor was not up to specifications
* Frequency read-out was very difficult (small and poorly displayed)
* Buttons and switches were very small and hard to manipulate during contests
I just ordered a new Omni 6 plus .....I will miss Icom's fantastic automatic
antenna tuner, but that's all.
FAQ on WWW: http://www.contesting.com/tentecfaq.htm
Administrative requests: tentec-REQUEST@contesting.com