[TenTec] Why Stop Here ? MFJ Cleartone replacement

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Why Stop Here ? MFJ Cleartone replacement
From: rychard@mindspring.com (Richard Dean Young)
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 06:09:50
  Hello All,

  I am sure that this replacement is an improvement over the original
 speaker,but why stop with this half solution? I experimented with
 five or six different speakers, and found that the larger 5-6 inch
 speakers have much better sound than all of the smaller ones.Of course
 they did not fit in the rig or the power supply,but for the better sound
 quality I was willing to make room for a small speaker case on the shelf
 right above the rig.I started with small "Boom Box" speakers and small
 stereo speakers already in their small cabinets,and any others I could
 find.I finally found a pair of small Panasonic stereo speakers at a
 second hand shop for about $4.00.They are mounted in small wooden cabinets
 about 8"x6"x6"(H x W x D) in size.When I tried one plugged in to my
 Omni VI,I knew my search was over,great sound.I found some of the newer
super High-Tech speakers had to much treble,and reproduced the static and
 hiss too well.The best sounding small speaker I have found is in my
 GE SuperRadio,but I'm not about to strip it out,it is too good of a
 MW DX Radio to tear up.If I ever find a junk one I will not hesitate to
 give it a try.
  What sounds perfect to one,is often not to someone else.So do what I
 did and play around a little.You might be pleasantly suprise by what
 you hear,and what you don't hear.

                                 73   Good sounds comes in small boxes,

                                  Dean KR4IU ..._._