[TenTec] SSB Receive Audio

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] SSB Receive Audio
From: billclarke@mindspring.com (Bill Clarke)
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 16:24:31 -0500
For the past couple of days it has been interesting to read
all the messages about the MFJ speaker and its wonderful CW
applications. Not everyone has an interest in CW. I prefer
SSB and sometimes AM, with broadcast quality armchair full
fidelity receive audio.

To bad to berate the TenTecs for their poor audio and cheap
speakers. ALL the other brands suffer from the same malady.
Good audio requires good speakers and some audio oomph.
Today's small rigs don't offer the logistical real estate
for large speakers - hence the matching external speakers
that can be bought - and some even sound OK.

I use an FT-990 and a Corsair II. Both are fed through a
Timewave filter, that is infinitely variable, cliff steep
cutoff skirts, and 3 watts audio output (wish it was more
like 8 watts). At this moment I am experimenting with
various speakers including:

1. a Criterion 60 wood bookcase speaker that is about 25
years old.
2. "boom-box" speakers
3. computer speakers

I have yet to find any of the "matching speakers" worth a
hoot, except for their looks. Of course, a trip to Radio
Shack for a coaxial type speaker to put inside a "matching
speaker" box might be worth a try. I use this modification
in a couple of Kenwood speaker boxes used on 2 meter rigs.

Good quality headphones can be an answer, if you like your
head in a vise.

Bill W2BLC