[TenTec] Dual 250 Hz filters--worth it?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Dual 250 Hz filters--worth it?
From: turner@safety.ics.uci.edu (Clark Savage Turner WA3JPG)
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 11:33:22 -0800
Hi Peter:

The pair of 250's is probably a matter of taste and how much you
like to dig for a signal.  I own a pair in my OMNI VI and I like to
have them when I am digging a weak one out of the noise, not just
the QRM.  The character of the one in the 9 MHz IF is different than
the character of the one in the 6.3 IF, and I like to have both.  If
you own both 500's, I am sure you know what I mean.  I like the pair
of 500's for QRM, but the pair of 250's is super in digging in the
noise (however, I occasionally use an outboard preamp even on 40
meters to bring it all up enough to hear well, the pair of 250's
gives me a great s/n ratio but is lossy.)

My vote is to have both, but many good ops disagree.

Clark
WA3JPG