[TenTec] SCAF FILTERS

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] SCAF FILTERS
From: bohnovic@worldnet.att.net (John/K4WJ)
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 08:29:24 -0500
At 05:50 PM 2/25/98 EST, ARDUJENSKI@aol.com wrote:

>I have seen a lot of talk about the various filters for TEN TEC  rigs but what

>about the models like the CENTURY 21 where additional filters are not an

>option? Do filters like SCAFs provide improved reception for the times it gets

>a bit crowded?

>Alan KB7MBI

Alan,

I have an Omni C and a Model 544 and I have a Super SCAF for each rig. They
make a big difference in being able to copy a station or listen to the QRM. My
Omni C has a 250 hz filter that I use when required.

I am  change the filter/filters I use as band and signal conditions change. For
one QSO I may not use anything but the built in audio filters. For another QSO
I may have to put all of the filters to work, including my NIR-10. I have even
used the NIR-10 with the Super SCAF, but I rarely use this combination.

The SCAF filter won't help you if the QRM you are trying to filter out is very
strong. You will need built in filter to reduce the signal strength as the SCAF
doesn't affect the AGC.

73..

John/<italic>K4WJ</italic> in Pembroke Pines, FL

        QTH is 26 00 51 N

               80 16 16 W

        <italic>K8PXG</italic> from 18 Jun 59 to 11 Feb 97

        <italic>K8WJ</italic>  from 12 Feb 97 to 07 Apr 97

        <italic>ZF2HZ

</italic>