[TenTec] Omni VI Plus RF sensitivity

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni VI Plus RF sensitivity
From: heimbach@concentric.net (Karl Heimbach)
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 19:32:34 -0600
Hello group,

After working the DX phone contest this last weekend with four different
Ten-Tec rigs, an Argonaut 509, Argonaut 515, Argosy 525,
and a Omni VI Plus, I was unable to readily distinguish between the
RF sensivity of the four.

Investigating further, I connected a RF signal generator and decade box
to the antenna jack of the Omni VI and decreased the amplitude of a
10.125 Mhz signal until it was inaudible.  I then connected the signal
generator/decade box, without making an changes in the signal strength,
to the Argosy and found the signal was still audible!  I repeated this
exercise at 10.105 and 10.110 Mhz with the same results.

The stated sensitivity for the Omni is .16 uV for 10dB SNR and .30 uV
for 10db SNR for the Argosy II.  Seems obvious that the Omni should be
the better performer.  Has anyone else made a similar observation or am
I missing something?

Regards,

Karl - W5QJ