[TenTec] Recommendation?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Recommendation?
From: turner@safety.ics.uci.edu (Clark Savage Turner WA3JPG)
Date: Sat, 07 Mar 1998 11:23:33 -0800
> Looking for a small all band (WARC too) transceiver for use in a nursing
> home environment.  CW primarily due to voice problems.  What Ten-Tec would
> be recommended?  Not a lot of money to spend.

Hi Gary:

The small Ten Tec rig of choice at the low price end is the Argosy.
It is a very decent CW tranceiver, though it includes 30 meters
of WARC, and not the others as I recall (sold mine a year ago).
The Argosy I is analog, the Argosy II has a frequency counter
readout.  They have good CW filter options and fine QSK.  The
Argosy II can be found for around $350 or so, as that is what
I bought and sold mine for (with audio CW board and IF CW filter).

If you don't need WARC all that much and don't mind a little larger
box, the old venerable Triton IV is a beautiful rig for the money.
You can often find them for $300, even under that, and the QSK and
sensitivity is better than most current rigs.

Write back if you need to know more.  I would be happy to loan
you (by mail) a copy of the manual for the Argosy II to look at,
I don't think I have a Triton IV manual here, but I'll look.  Or
maybe I could copy the spec sheets for these rigs and mail them
to you.  Let me know.

Clark
WA3JPG