[TenTec] Omni VI- Untrue Complaints

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni VI- Untrue Complaints
From: flor0045@metnet.edu (phil florine)
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 16:07:20
I can't be quiet any longer.  I was told on 40m CW the other day that a new
ham bought a new Omni VI Plus and returned it because his "Elmer" told him
Omni VI and VI Pluses chirp.  BS!!!!!!!!!

I'm an EE, a musician, and a 39 yr. ham who only works CW these days.
IMHO:

1.  There is NO chirp from the Omni VI Plus, W1AW, 20m.  (did you hear
funky signal their retired transmitter sent?)  I don't do drugs.

2.  The internal keyer on my Omni VI works fine with a bencher paddle,
iambic type B, at 40 WPM.  I use iambic keying to it's full extent.  Any
timing delays that affect the operation of this keyer are only in someone's
imagination.  In fact, it works the same as my old HD-1410 keyer with the
same Bencher.  Any mistakes are my own!

3.  There is no chirp from my Omni VI, nor from those dozens of Omni VIs
that I have worked on 40 and 20m.  In fact, I had my first QSO a while back
with a ham who, on this reflector, said he could pick out an Omni VI on the
air.  Well, when I asked him what rig I was running, he did NOT say "Omni
VI"!

If anyone want's to QSO me, I'd be glad to have a sked on 40 or 20m.

I feel better now.  73.

Phil, K0UBC