The 1340 QRP rig went up in a cloud of smoke tonight. Something is shorted
in my DC supply causing some AC on the ground lead. I plugged it into the
rig and a loud crack emmited from the speaker. It worked fine for about 5
minutes then I heard a loud hissing sound from the speaker and a cloud of
stinkey white smoke came from the speaker grill. Looks like the LM-386 took
a spike then took a hike. Here's what I learned.
1. Don't hook a power supply to the rig with it's power turned on.
2. Even though a rig sounds perfectly good, it may be getting ready to blow
3. LM-386's stink when they burn.
4. Commonly available parts are used in the rig.
5. Desoldering is not going to be easy. I'll probably just bust it outta
there and remove the leads one at a time.
Hopefully by this weekend I'll be back in operation with this rig.
Amateur Radio Operator N4LQ
FAQ on WWW: http://www.contesting.com/tentecfaq.htm
Administrative requests: tentec-REQUEST@contesting.com