[TenTec] Triton 544 kicking breaker

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Triton 544 kicking breaker
From: prvalko@oakland.edu (Paul R. Valko)
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 10:14:52 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 9 Apr 1998 k5pgw@linknet.net wrote:

> When I turn mode switch to "LOCK" position the breaker on the power supply
> kicks out but can be reset by turning the A.C. switch on the xcvr off and
> then on and the xcvr comes back to life as it should. Something is
> triggering the overload.

Too much current...

> I disconnected the 12 volts D.C. from final amp. module and the pwr supp
> stopped kicking out. Ahah!!! shorted final transistors.

Uhhh... don't jump to conclusions!  This is electronics, not law.

> NOT SO!!! I replaced the final Amp module with a good one from another
> 544 putting out 100 watts and guess what,

Hmmmm... I betcha a steak dinner it still shut down.

> IT STILL KICKED THE POWER OFF.

You can owe me...

> I turned the drive all the way down and the alc control all the way down
> and it still kicked the power off.

Opps...

> <snip... board swapping fest>

Ok... you need to find out how much current is being drawn into the
Triton.  After all that work, I think the current limiting circuit in the
power supply is either set too low, or it has a problem.

Those rig are pretty notorious for drawing more current than the PS is set
to deliver - especially in a HOT RF environment (poor grounds).

Look to the Power Supply.

73! =paul= W8KC
Collector of Ten*Tecs and other fine plastics

http://www.acs.oakland.edu/~prvalko