[TenTec] PTO Grease

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] PTO Grease
From: johnmb@mindspring.com (john)
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 07:53:18 -0400
At 07:39 AM 4/10/98 -0400, you wrote:

>Steve Ellington, N4LQ, said the grease gets gummy and sticky with time.  He
>has been into the PTO's, but I never have.

        I'm a newbie to this reflector and  have just finished rebuilding
a Triton IV external PTO...the Jackson drive (reduction drive) was very
gummy and would slip so badly the VFO was unusable beyond
a very narrow range. While I never did figure out how to totally disassemble
the thing (how DO you get the core out of the coil
form while the whole thing is still trapped by the reduction drive
at the other end?)  I was able to get most all of the old grease
off. This stuff had the consistancy of old honey, and was every but as
sticky. Carefully swabbing all of the old grease out and cleaning
the parts with Kerosene on a qtip got most all of the sticky glop off
everything. Reassembling with fresh grease provided a PTO
that tunes smoothly once again.

Best
/John