[TenTec] House wiring

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] House wiring
From: kr4wm@bigfoot.com (Web Williams)
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 09:27:10 -0400
Carlos J. Caro wrote:

> Subject: [TenTec] House wiring
>
> >I'm assuming that there are some of us who, although they may know a
> >great deal about electronics, may not know how to tell if a home outlet
> >is wired properly.
> >
> Looking at the outlet, you will see that the contact on the left is longer
> than the one on the right. The long contact is the neutral line and should
> have the white wire connected. It usually will be the tin colored contact.
> The short contact is the hot line and should have the black, red or blue
> wire connected. It is brass or copper colored contact. The half moon contact
> is the ground and should have the green wire connected. This is the standard
> National Electric Code. Between hot and neutral should be the full voltage
> (approx 115 VAC) also between hot and ground. Between neutral and ground
> should be ZERO volts, indicating both wires at same ground potential.
> regards, Carlos KB0REI

This is correct- also, one SNAFU to watch out for. In the case of
switches,
it is common practice to put a piece of black tape around the white wire
in switch circuits to indicate that the white wire is NOT a neutral
wire,
but has been used as a switch leg. (But I suppose some cost-cutting
companies
may not do this!) This is done where the power feed comes in at the
light
box on the ceiling instead of the switchbox on the wall. Sorry for
cluttering
up the Ten Tec reflector with treatises on house wiring! 73 all, -Web