[TenTec] RE: DSP on Scout

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] RE: DSP on Scout
From: Bill_Ames@hysoft.com (Bill_Ames@hysoft.com)
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 16:53:11 -0400
My comments below.
Bill Ames
KB1LG

>Bill,
>This sounds like the ideal project for one of the QRP kit companies; but
as
>for Ten Tec, I am not sure they are yet set up for surface mounting.

Well, they better hurry, those dip packages are not going to be here
forever!

>Wilderness radio, or the makers of the Tick Keyers might jump at the Scout
>module chance, but for DSP, it looks like you might need more than the
real
>estate of the Scout plug in board.  Surely  TT will have to get into
surface
>mount now that folks like Kachina have their DSP transceiver.  I wonder if
the
>Omni 6 plus has surface mount anything?

There are definatly possibilities for different plugin modules for the
Scout/Argo, just for use as a receiver. I would like to see a plugin that
was connected to a vfo so I could at least have a more "tuneable" rig, even
if it got a bit more noisy.

>Just read the review of Kachina transceiver in QST, but I am one of those
who
>would have to buy the accessory knob; just is not a radio without a tuning
>knob to feel! :-)

A radio is not a radio w/o a knob!

>Like they said in the review; this does now make it possible to have only
the
>computer screen and keyboard on the operating desk, and the RF hardware
can be
>up to 75 feet away.
You need to be that far away so the PC dosen't rfi the rig  :-(

>However, I see two camps of hams, those who will continue to want stand
alone
>radios, and those who will want DSP virtual transceivers like the Kachina.

How about getting the fed gov to allow low power amps so I could give an
Argo 50w out and a Scout 200w capability.

>Just as the lowly VOM and DMM was not replaced by the National Instruments
>computer instrumentation.

Who makes a good RF signal gen?

>Guess I will have to open up my new in the box Radio Shack DSP and see how
>much real estate it took.  I had one of the W9GR? DSP boards early model,
and
>it was about 3 times the area of the Scout board, and pretty crowded, and
that
>did not count pots and off board switches, etc.
I said it "works", it does have some attributes you will need to learn to
live with ;-(