[TenTec] Ten-Tec SMT, etc.

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Ten-Tec SMT, etc.
From: sales@tentec.com (Ten-Tec Inc. Amateur Radio Sales)
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 11:10:47 -0400
At 04:53 PM 4/16/98 -0400, you wrote:

>>Bill,
>>This sounds like the ideal project for one of the QRP kit companies; but
>as
>>for Ten Tec, I am not sure they are yet set up for surface mounting.
>
>Well, they better hurry, those dip packages are not going to be here
>forever!

I wanted to interject at this point that we have been doing surface mount
for our military gear for the last three years.  If you had your present
Omni-VI upgraded to Omni-VI Plus by us it now incorporates surface mount
boards, as does the production line VI Plus.  We switched from through-
hole to SMT for the Scout last fall, and all Scout 555 transceivers
built today are 100% SMT.  The days of through-hole surface boards at
Ten-Tec will come to an end completely at some date in the future as
competing with the Japanese all but requires we do so.  This has no effect
on our board exchange policies for any of our products.

Of course, for kit items we will *not* be going to surface mount.

You're right, those DIP packages are not going to be here forever and
we are keeping pace with the times.

>>Just read the review of Kachina transceiver in QST, but I am one of those
>who
>>would have to buy the accessory knob; just is not a radio without a tuning
>>knob to feel! :-)

Naturally, Ten-Tec was pleased to note in the Kachina review that the
composite phase noise performance of the Kachina 505DSP was the best
that the ARRL Lab had yet measured with the exception of the Ten-Tec
Omni-VI Plus - the standard for low phase noise performance.

73,
Scott E. Robbins, W4PA
Amateur Radio Product Manager, Ten-Tec