[TenTec] You asked about the Scout.....

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] You asked about the Scout.....
From: Bill_Ames@hysoft.com (Bill_Ames@hysoft.com)
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 13:16:34 -0400
See my comments below:

>Bill,
>I think the FCC regs are written that way so that 5W (e.g. CB XCVR) would
>be pretty well soaked up by the PA grid & not go anywhere.

Does this imply that there is not a linear relationship to the signal into
the
mic and the output from the amp? Such as you nothing out of an amp until
you reach a level of 5 w into the amp so that any sound below the level
needed to drive the rig to 5w out are essentially clipped?

>They set the
>limit at 50W to keep amplifiers from working with the 5W level (and
>probably also to keep non-teckkie CBers from figuring out how to get them
>to work with their rigs). For 50W, however, as an example, in Ameritron's
>ad in a recent QST the AL-1500 says "... 65 watts drive gives you the
>full legal output...." I think most amplifiers out there would work --
>just not quite at full rated output.

Why doesn't someone make a small amp that would give me, say, 350 w out on
SSB for 50w in?
>By the way -- what are the real pros and cons of the Scout?  I have been
>thinking seriously about buying one but would probably wind up with it as
>primary/only HF rig due to space & budget considerations (i.e., son in
>college). I'd like to hear your thoughts. Most of my operation right now
>is on 75/40M SSB (and a little 160) keeping skeds with my Dad and a few
>others. I did previously own an Argosy for a long time so I know what 50W
>will do.

Negative aspects of the Scout:

(1) Requires a plugin for each band.
(2) Uses a PTO so you can NOT spin the dial. You must really like to TURN
the dial. Also the dial itself is too small in diameter.
(3) The display resolution could go one more digit to make tuning a given
frq easier but I am not sure the accuracy of the frq counter (which is used
to measure the frq of the PTO) would support it.
(4) The resolution of the S-Meter leaves much to the imagination.
(5) There is an annoying tone that is in the audio out and you need a pad
to allow you to achieve a signal level out (audio) that puts the tone far
enough down to be un noticeable. I us headphones with a volume control and
a 25 ohm pot to my speaker.
(6) The power out control is accessible through a hole in the cover, not
something you would like to use very often.
(7) It does not remember what speed you set the keyer to when you power
down the rig.
(8)  For what you would pay for a new Scout plus a full set of plugins you
could get a low end Japanese rig for about the same money.
(9) The manual, while it covers a lot, could really use a rewrite. It needs
to be better organized and information be made more readily available. I
bet TT could be persuaded to let some of their more fanatical Argo/Scout
owners take a crack at that!

Positive aspects of the Scout.

(1) A great receiver.
(2) The BW control (using their "jones" filter works great, you don't need
to buy expensive additional filters.
(3) It sounds great to those on the other end of a QSO.
(4) It is simple t use.
(5) It is simple to maintain.
(6) It has TT service just a call away if ever needed.
(7) Plenty of clear, undistorted audio, a pleasure to listen to.
(8) There is no comparable rig + manufacture + cost of ownership
combination that offers more to the ham then the Argo/Scout.

IMHO <g> Bill (KB1LG) Ames

P.S. My main antenna is a full size 80mt horizontal (flat, like a pancake)
loop at about 25 feet.