[TenTec] Oh No!! I think it's broke!!!

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Oh No!! I think it's broke!!!
From: reid.w.simmons@intel.com (Simmons, Reid W)
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 09:15:00 -0700
     Hello TT fanatics;

     Has anyone out there done a "carrier null" adjustment on their Omni
VI/3??
     Mine seems to be putting out carrier on LSB which, when the PTT (or
the
     key) is first pressed, jumps up to at least 30 watts out before
settling
     down to a lower but still present level.  On a nearby receiver the
LSB
     audio sounds great (similar to AM).  This is frequency independent
and into
     a dummy load.  It does not do this on USB, but then the audio does
not
     sound as good as LSB either.  This is the first time I have tried
using the
     Omni on SSB since I had option 3 installed many months ago (I was
#140).

     I talked to TT service and they also seemed to think a carrier null
was in
     order, and may do it for free since this may have occurred during
option 3
     modification.  Does anyone know why the carrier null would need
     readjustment since this board is buried deep within the rig and
doesn't
     seem to have much relationship to the option 3 modifications done?

     I would prefer to fix it myself if possible as the cost of shipping
and
     $2500 worth of insurance is rather steep from out here... not to
mention
     the withdrawal symptoms of being without my Ten Tec for a period of
time.
     Any help or suggestions would be greatly welcomed.

     My test equipment is modest: Tek 455 scope, DMM, signal generator,
Bird 43,
     grid (FET) dip meters.

     Thanks.

     Reid, K7YX