[TenTec] re. Dual Receive & Different People

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] re. Dual Receive & Different People
From: davidc@bit-net.com (DavidC)
Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 13:50:42 -0400
Bill:

   I think that it is important to understand that different people process
input differently.  It is likely that those you heard from all fit the
category of "parallel processors", these are people who always have
multiple things going at once -- I know, because I am one of them.  Be it
multiple processes or multiple frequencies, we tend to get bored if our
senses are not pressed to the limit!

   Example:  I am known to have the computer running in front of me, the tv
off to one side, the radio to the other side, the telephone resting on my
cupped shoulder, a book or magazine open on the table, and a conversation
with someone in the room ... and can still tell you when a car has pulled
into the driveway or a knock has come at the door.  Drives my wife crazy!
:-)

   The linear processor needs to engage a single task at a time and is
overwhelmed by the confusion of multiple inputs.  But then the linear
processor is much more likely to be an artisan about what they do.

   Now, the parallel processor often has trouble getting any task done, or
in fully appreciating any input, because they are time-sharing their
attention.  The linear processor can get stuck in the rut of singular focus
and miss much of what is happening all around them.  As in all things,
there is a need for intentional priority-setting and balance.

   Give yourself permission to enjoy Ham radio, and life, the way that
gives you the most joy and do not feel pressured to function in a way that
is unique to another subset of the population.

  OK, the communications 101 lecture is complete.  Please remember to do
your homework ... oh, and there will be a quiz tomorrow!

   73, DavidC  AA1FA

This is my response to my own posting.
I received about 10 replies to this post and ALL said they use
dual receive much of the time. Nobody agreed with me.
I still say I will have trouble trying to understand two frequencies but
maybe I better dust off the OMNI D and start practicing.
I stand corrected.
Bill W5EC

At 06:59 AM 5/14/98 -0500, I wrote:

>I have used TenTec transceivers since 1978. At that time the OMNI D had
>the outboard vfo and had the capability of dual receive. I could listen to
>2 frequencies at one time. I tried that maybe twice and found that I
couldn't
>do that any better than listen to 2 conversations at home at the same
time.
>I could switch back and forth between them or operate split with ease.
>I use split with my OMNI 6+ all the time chasing dx but I don't  need to
>listen to 2 frequencies at the same because I couldn.t understand
>either one. As far as sending one frequency to one ear and another
>frequency to the other ear--hahahahahahahahahahaha.
>I'll wager that most folks with dual receive capability don't listen to
>2 frequencies at the same time either.
>Bill W5EC

-- David Colburn
"But He was pierced through for our transgressions,
 He was crushed for our iniquities;
 The chastening for our well-being fell upon Him,
 And by His scourging we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

"Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing,
 that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit." Romans 15:13