[TenTec] Kachina

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Kachina
From: disorder@fastlane.net (disorder@fastlane.net)
Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 22:02:10 -0500 (CDT)
Jack, thanks for the information.  I waited to see what Dayton would bring from
   TenTec but that turned out to be nothing from the standpoint of my needs.
    I am certain that TenTec  has more in mind than the "cards" they have
showing
    but who knows when they will turn the next card over.  I've wondered what
    drives TenTec; it looks like the Japanese manufacturers play the same game
as
    the computer people: technology and feature jumps  with everyone else
rapidly
    copying plus adding a few enhancements.   TenTec seems to play their own
    game;  this leaves them in a niche market but I guess the returns, both
    financial and spiritual, are sufficient.  Amateur radio equipment
    manufacturing has to be at least partly a labor of love.

    As for your problems with the 505, this sort of thing should be the proof of
    the Kachina concept.  Software fix for the key-down-to-tune case and maybe a
    hardware/software fix for the drive problem but, whatever the case, Kachina
    should be able to provide a quick resolution.  Jack,  I wonder if you have
    any other results of tests or comparisons of the 505 that you could share.
    I,  for one,  would be interested in hearing what you have found.  Also,
has
    anyone there at your club taken a stab at modifying or adding new features
    to the high level control program?  If so, do you have any observations on
    that process?

    Thanks again

    Mike  W5FTD

Jack Kovar said...