[TenTec] Paragon 81338 Pll major loop board

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Paragon 81338 Pll major loop board
From: k4to@meginc.com (Dave Sublette)
Date: Sun, 31 May 1998 13:53:23 -0400

ROBWOY@aol.com wrote:

> I was told by ten-tec to resolder the major loop board to fix cold solders on
> the board.
> But after I removed the board someone beat me to It or a ten - tec  (tec) let
> there child play with the solding gun.Does any body know if they sell the
> board ?Or is there
> a up grade i hope and if so how $$$$$$ ?I kind of lost my faith in ten-tec
> soldering.
>
>                                                                 THANKS  Robin
> Kearns
> PS. please respond for all to see.
>

> --

  I understand the frustration of discovering major workmanship problems and
just
downright abuse of electronic equipment. However, based on the comments I've
seen
from other Ten-Tec owners, I see no evidence to suggest that anyone at Ten-Tec
is
responsible for the condition of the board in your radio.  If anything,
Ten-Tec's
most unusual and generous policy of encouraging owners to work on their radios
leaves them open to unwarranted criticism, such as yours, that the quality of
their products might be suspect.   To the contrary, I think they should be
applauded by the ham community for attempting to design equipment that both
operates at the edge of the state of the art and is easily worked on by the
owner. I can't say the same for any of the other major (e.g. Japanese) amateur
radio equipment companies.

Buy another board, install it, then mark off the cost to experience.  But don't
blame Ten-Tec for something they had nothing to do with.

Dave Sublete, K4TO