[TenTec] QRP

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] QRP
From: w8sff@juno.com (w8sff@juno.com)
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 19:21:21 +0100
Ok, We'll take you at face value.  Many of us like to work qrp as a
challenge much like contesting.  Its doing to most with least amount of
power out.  Notice I said power out, not minimum receive.  QRP is
generally considered to be 5 watts or less out.  Many folks don't want to
run out a buy a special qrp rig when they already own a rig.  But, many
modern rigs can't be adjusted down to 5 watts.  Hence the mods to do so.
Some rigs like the OMNI VI for instance will go all the way down, but
others don't.  Also, many qrpers like to idea of having a great receiver
even though they are working qrp.  All they are trying to do with their
mods is to get versatility.  One rig to work both QRO and QRP.  Thats all
its about.  I personally like to work anywhere from 1500 watts out to 250
milliwatts out.  Its just added flexibility.   And qrp does teach us that
we can work one another without all knobs turned full right, he he.
Bottom line, if you don't want to work qrp, ignore the mod posts.  Nobody
says you have to work qrp.  I got the bug about 9 months ago and I can't
shake it.  But work those qrpers when you hear em.  Crank in some filters
and turn up the rx gain.  Then turn down the tx gain and see if they can
hear YOU!
Have fun and I hope I explained it half way coherently.
73/72 de Steve, W8SFF

sn Fri, 12 Jun 1998 12:41:21 EDT Nr5q@aol.com writes:

>I suppose I belong to a fast disappearing group of old timers who
>think of the
>Omni, Corsair, Paragon, and other 100 watt class transceivers as a QRP
>rigs as
>delivered. Anything under 100 watts is QRP to many of us. I am sure it
>is more
>difficult to get out with 5 watts or under...but it would be even more
>difficult to get out using a dummy load, or underground antenna.
>
>Please help me understand. I am being perfectly sincere--this is not
>meant to
>be a "cute," or smart-alec type letter...What is the big deal about
>buying a
>good rig and then making it work as poorly as you can?
>
>73,
>

>Brucee, NR5Q
>
>--

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]