[TenTec] Tentec QRP rig--20m

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Tentec QRP rig--20m
From: reid.w.simmons@intel.com (Simmons, Reid W)
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 11:57:00 -0700
Allan;

I just completed my 1320 a couple of weeks ago.  My tuning range is
about 72.5 kcs.  I have mine set to tune from 14.002 - 14.0745.  It was
painstaking work to get the VFO just where I wanted it.  I hit the coil
with a dab of hot glue here and there, and then carefully squeezed or
spread the turns (using a plastic stick) until I got the above results.
I then "drowned" the coil in candle wax.  It has held these settings
even after final assembly.  Note: after dripping hot wax on the coil the
frequency will drop about 25 kcs but then slowly move back up as the wax
cools and hardens.

The VFO coil was fabricated per the instructions and turns were spread
as evenly around the toroid as was possible.

My 1320 has astounding receiver performance.  I have never heard a
receiver as quiet as this one.  The background noise is virtually
nonexistent and the sensitivity is great.  It beats my Omni VI/3 for low
background noise (but the Omni is slightly more sensitive).  I took it
on vacation to my in-laws near Pittsburgh.  Using a slightly too-long
dipole about 15 feet high, I heard and worked stations all over the US
and Canada, as well as Europe and Japan.  I used a battery pack made up
of 8-D cells in two Radio Shack D-Cell holders.  I had about 2.5 watts
output.

Reid, K7YX