[TenTec] OMNI VI and FSK

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] OMNI VI and FSK
From: k8vt@ameritech.net (Carter Grabarczyk)
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 19:01:23 -0400
Knut,
>From your e-mail, it's not too clear what the problem is, but I think
you are able to receive OK, but not send (or at least not make a
contact).

I am using the Omni VI+, a KAM+ and KaGOLD on FSK and Pactor and
everything works fine. The  things I would check are:

1. When you go to "transmit", does the PTT work? (is the Omni going into
the transmit mode?)

2. If it is going in to transmit, is the carrier shifting? Turn your
power output as low as it will go and then listen on another nearby
receiver to see if you can hear the carrier shifting-this is assuming
you have "diddle" turned on or are sending something on the keyboard.
Less than or equal to 1 volt at the Omni FSK jack is a MARK and greater
than 2 volts equals SPACE. Is your PTC putting out these voltages on the
FSK lead? Also, you could use a couple of small batteries (2 AA cells)
going into the Omni FSK jack and monitor for carrier shift on another
receiver as you go between zero and 3 volts.

3. If all of the above is OK, are you sending "upside down"? The KAM has
an "FSK INVert" command; does the PTC?

4. For "standard" (or high tones), the Omni pass band tuning should be
at 3 o'clock. If yours is at 1 o'clock, are you using "low" tones?

Well, I hope this gives you some ideas and things to check....

73/Carter/K8VT