[TenTec] Omni-C VFO belly up?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni-C VFO belly up?
From: owen@piper.eeel.nist.gov (James C. Owen, III)
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 15:10:58 -0500 (EST)
In message Tue, 21 Jul 1998 10:58:38 -0700,
  "Bahr, Casey" <casey.bahr@intel.com>  writes:

 this time the other guy was telling me that *my*
> transmit frequency was drifting all over the place.
>
> A quick glance at the frequency counter confirmed that I was jumping
> all over the place on both transmit and receive, from 100-500 Hz, mostly
> up, but sometimes down as well. Bummer dude!! :)
>
> Since it does it on receive I think I can eliminate any problem
> with the power supply and perhaps can point my finger directly at the VFO
> (is it a single board?).

Casey I believe what you have is the need for the classic TT VFO rebuild.
When you tune the VFO over a carrier do you get a warble in the note? If you
rapidly tune back & forth at a given spot on the VFO and then tune across
the signal is it ok? Do you have the offset tuning turned on and set to
transceive and if so does the problem go away when you turn it off? However,
the number one rule of trouble shooting is check the PS first. Check the
voltage to the VFO AT the VFO.  The VFO is a single board and the rebuild is
not difficult but will take a couple of hours your first time.
73 Jim K4CGY