[TenTec] Computer Noise

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Computer Noise
From: jdroller@tricon.net (Jimmy D. Roller)
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 18:32:13 -0400
I really would like to thank directly the person who submitted the tip
of bypassing the AC power leads in the computer power supply with .01
mfd caps. IT WORKS! I have been plagued with lots of hash in the OMNI
VI+ since obtaining a new (for me) computer. I have bought enough
toroids to own stock in several companies, chased ground loops (and I
now know what they are and how they work), examined the merits of daisy
chaining versus central grounding point, and otherwise cussed and
discussed the problem with anybody who would listen. I even found that
two outlets in the ham shack did not share a common ground! I have
really learned a lot over the past 9 months but it took some kind soul
on the reflector to turn on the light bulb. Where I once had S8-9 hash
all over 160m, it's now almost perfectly quiet with no S-meter
deflection whatsoever. 80 and 40m are as quiet as a graveyard at
11:59PM.

As the person said, it works for TenTecs. Thank you again for your
excellent advice! BTW, the .01 mfd caps @ 2KV are available at your
local Radio Shack for about $.60 each...seems a bit high, but I'm not
complaining!

73 es TNX,

Jim, N4IR      e e