[TenTec] QRP T-Kits and IC sockets

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] QRP T-Kits and IC sockets
From: reid.w.simmons@intel.com (Simmons, Reid W)
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 08:30:00 -0700
Jim;

Since I started this message there is one input I would like to make
that I left out of the original.

Per the instruction manual pin 1 (I think) of the audio IC is to be
soldered to ground on both the top and bottom of the board.  Sometimes
this is done for heat dissipation, sometimes for noise, and sometimes
for "?" reasons.  I tried my unit with and without this pin soldered to
ground.  I found no difference in temperature of the IC as measured with
a very good thermocouple, nor did I detect any increase in noise on the
output of the IC using an oscilloscope.  However if you want to both
ground this pin and use a socket, that is easily accomplished.

The choice of using sockets in my case was to better facilitate
experimentation and modifications in the future.

Reid, K7YX