[TenTec] OMNI VI and Contesting

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] OMNI VI and Contesting
From: kf5mc@flash.net (Joseph Pursley)
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 22:30:29 -0500
As I previously said I used a drop of win oil. Metal on metal always
needs a minor lubricant whether it be a graphite bearing or teflon type.
When I received my Onmi VI the shaft was so dry the metal was binding. I
also like a free wheeling knob so I simply adjusted it away from the
front of the panel so there was no drag. I had the same problem with
both My Paragons. When the shaft starts wobling its too late to lube it
and it has to be replaced. Generally the bushings are  prelubed  I dont
know what Ten Tec uses. All I do know is what I did works. I guess
maybe  some of the concerns I have been reading about  here regarding
bushing wearout might have been  averted. I have had many of the
earlier Ten Tec rigs and all  their tuning shafts  benefited by a
singular drop of light oil. I'd  add that I have never had to replace
any of the bushings nor send them back for sloppy tuning mechanisms.  I
have also noted that the goey grease originally used in those earlier
rigs tended to turn to glue after many years and was easily
reconstituted again by a singular drop of oil. After reading the
comments here I guess the only problem was that the knob was just
pressed too close to the face of the radio. And was not one of the shaft
binding anyway..