[TenTec] Filters

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Filters
From: chestert@pressroom.com (Chester Alderman)
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 21:40:55 -0400
--=====================_1377585==_.ALT

Clark...A filter more narrow that the 2.4kc first IF filter will not work in
that position unless you do some retuning of the basic rig. I purchased an
extra 9 Mhz 1.8kc filter and put it in my Omni 6. I thought it was working
great, but when I was doing the testing, I was only on 40 mtrs. Several days
later I tried to fire up full power output on 17mtrs and discovered max power
out was only 25 watts! I then checked all other bands including 80m. On 40m I
could get about 80 watts out, and all other bands only 25 watts out! When I
put
the original filter back into the first IF, everything returned to normal. I
didn't think the improvement was substantial enough to warranty changing my
Omni6 to a CW only xcrv.
By the way, I now have an FT1000MP that I'm now trying to learn how to set up
that 87-item menu and learn the function of those 90 buttons and knobs, then
I'm going to put my Omni back on the desk for some more a/b switching test. So
far, the MP is pretty impressive, it's the FIRST time that Yaesu has gotten
QSK
to work right over 30-40 wpm. I've been testing it up to 100 wpm and it does
great. Kind of a nightmare to have to set that complicated menu and then try
and figure out how to really make the thing work. Not like the TenTec
'plug-and-play' rigs!

73,

At 12:38 PM 8/19/98 -0700, you wrote:

>That sounds like  LOT to pay for custom made filters.  3.1 KHz
>would be a nice bandwidth though.  I would like to hear more
>about them as you find out :-) .  I never could figure out
>what Ten Tec was worried about with the narrower main IF
>filter...didn't make sense to me.
>
>Clark
>WA3JPG

Chester Alderman
Tom - W4BQF
chestert@pressroom.com

--=====================_1377585==_.ALT

will not work in that position unless you do some retuning of the basic
rig. I purchased an extra 9 Mhz 1.8kc filter and put it in my Omni 6. I
thought it was working great, but when I was doing the testing, I was
only on 40 mtrs. Several days later I tried to fire up full power output
on 17mtrs and discovered max power out was only 25 watts! I then checked
all other bands including 80m. On 40m I could get about 80 watts out, and
all other bands only 25 watts out! When I put the original filter back
into the first IF, everything returned to normal. I didn't think the
improvement was substantial enough to warranty changing my Omni6 to a CW
only xcrv.</div>
to set up that 87-item menu and learn the function of those 90 buttons
and knobs, then I'm going to put my Omni back on the desk for some more
a/b switching test. So far, the MP is pretty impressive, it's the FIRST
time that Yaesu has gotten QSK to work right over 30-40 wpm. I've been
testing it up to 100 wpm and it does great. Kind of a nightmare to have
to set that complicated menu and then try and figure out how to really
make the thing work. Not like the TenTec&nbsp; 'plug-and-play'
rigs!</div>
3.1 KHz</div>
more </div>
out</div>