[TenTec] The $1200-1400 TenTec - What features would you want and sacrif

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] The $1200-1400 TenTec - What features would you want and sacrifice?
From: hmmjr@erols.com (H. M. Motley, Jr.)
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 09:59:42 -0400
Let's start out by saying I don't think it can be done! There is too
much competition in that price range.  Look how long the Delta II
lasted!  Ten Tec needs a "niche" radio to compete with the off shore
gang.  The Omni 6 plus and the Scout fill the bill quite nicely -
there's nothing like them.

That being said, I still like the Delta II.  Take the Delta II features
and get rid of that Jones filter.  Give me a nice fixed filter and allow
for one or possibly two accessory filters.  It's gotta have DSP on at
least receive as that seems to be the new buzz word.  CW reverse and
adustable CW offset with tracking side tone would be most welcome as
would pass band tuning (I just lost the Delta II's PBT when I nixed the
Jones Filter) but here goes the price up nearing $2K. Maybe all this
could be accomplished with IF DSP and we could do away with fixed
crystal filters and get the price back down? For a mid priced radio we
need no internal keyer. I'd rather use my Logikey as most inbuilt keyers
are't worth the price of the hammer it would take to smash them to
"smitherines".  Make that an accessory for those who have to have
them.
This may be an interesting exercise but I wouldn't put any money on it
happening.

73,
Puck, W4PM