[TenTec] $1200 Problem

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] $1200 Problem
From: cshinn@connect.net (chuck shinn)
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 18:53:13 -0500
Your right, it is an exercise in economics. Typical American cost of
sales to sales ratios
run 3 to 1. This means that if the consumer price is 1200 dollars
then the unit manufacturing cost should be in the area of 400.00 USD.
So the question really  becomes what can Ten Tec produce for 400.00
to sell to you for 1200.00? The answer is
not very much-no matter how efficient the manufaturing operation. You
might argue
with a standard cost of sales to sales ratio of 3:1 but a lot of good
ideas ended up on the
scrap heap because the product concept wouldnt carry the premium to
bring it to
market. On top of the UMC is the marketing cost, SG&A, Advertising
and a host
of taxes and hidden cost (tarrifs really) that show up as disposal
costs for toxic
substances used in manufacturing.Good things all Im sure but they
carry a burden.
Why can the Japanese sell for less? Dumping pure and simple. They use
the American
market as a lost leader to get the economies of scale up in
manufaturing to sell at
list in all the rest of the world. If you dont believe it try to shop
the internet in other
countries and check out their posted prices. We are the recipients of
much "good news"
because our marketplace is so valuable to other countries producers.
This to the
detriment of our own manufacturers. But they do have access to the
same markets as the Japanese dont they? Yup. But for some reason they
want to think and act locally
these days. I guess dealing with the Government is easier than
exploiting the "other"
world markets.
Chuck W7MAP said that.
P.S. And I dont think we are allowed to dump.....not cricket I guess.