[TenTec] Mid range T-T

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Mid range T-T
From: ham@w3eax.umd.edu (Scott Rosenfeld [NF3I])
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 09:39:48 -0400 (EDT)
Remember, TT did that once (the Delta II) and it wasn't that successful in
the presence of the IC-735, FT-757GX/FT-890, and TS-440S/450S.  It was
expensive and didn't really stand out in the minds of a lot of people.

There's a REAL issue/danger here.  Look at the rapid number of revisions
being made by the Japanese companies - Icom in the last three years has
taken a line of radios (the 706) and come out with the Mark II and the
MarkII-G, and there's no upgrade path.

This has happened a LOT with the "big three."

This has left a LOT of people with a lot of

1) less valuable gear and lots of pissed-off people, because of being
superseded by infinite numbers of newer models
2) LOTS of pretty cheap, late-model used gear, with lots of people now
able and willing to buy this stuff

What does this mean?

If Ten-Tec just makes a FINE radio and sticks with it - like the venerable
IC-735 and Yaesu FT-736, with 10+ year production runs - people will feel
comfortable buying knowing their investment won't be immediately
depreciated.  Of course, with all of the cheap, high-quality, late-model
used gear floating around, there may not be that many people willing to
spend $1300 on a radio whose functions can be performed by a radio that
can be had, one year old, for $600 (which cost $1200 just a year ago).

The OMNI VI is a perfect example.  It's a niche radio, but it has its
loyal followers.  The mid-priced Ten-Tec must STAND OUT in some way that
makes people look at the specs and say, "now THAT's something I gotta
have in my shack because nothing else does it, and it's useful."

Full electronic break-in is a GREAT start.  Just doing everything
adequately may no longer be enough.  The Delta II was an adequate radio...

It's a tough place to be.  Does...

                "If you build it, they will come"

                                                apply here???

Scott Rosenfeld  ARS NF3I