[TenTec] Omni QSK with Alpha's 87A QSK

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni QSK with Alpha's 87A QSK
From: jreid@aloha.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 1998 12:15:11 -1000

>The reason your TT is not plug capatable with the Alpha is the same reason
>Nikon lenses will not fit a Minolta...it is called MARKETING....
>and this  is not a bad thing, it is simply good business..

Has nothing to do with physical plug type;  probably has to do with
keying signals.  Both the Alpha and the Omni key on with a key
closure to ground.  And a "virtual" key closure to ground is what
the 87A puts out on its' "c" RCA socket to go back to the
transceiver to signal it is ready to be driven.  All this occurs
in well less than 20 msec or so.

Would really wish someone would tell me what the Omni puts out
from the  TX OUT terminal to the KEY IN terminal on the back of
Ten Tec linears;  and then,  what comes out from the KEY OUT
terminal of  their linears to be fed back into the TX EN terminal
of the Omni's.  From what follows,  you will see why I believe
it is exactly what the 87A wants to see;  that is sink to gnd on
transmit.

To quote the Ten Tec manual once again, "...the Logic board
generates a transmit acknowledge voltage at connector 63.
This signal [whatever it might be?] becomes the external
keying loop that is normally jumpered on the rear panel.
If an external [QSK capable] amplifier is to be used,  it
can be included within the keying loop so that the amplifier
can control the  [QSK] timing of the keying and prevent hot
switching."

So,  as  the 87A requires a closure to gnd.  from such a
keying loop, and provides the same back to the loop,
i.e. a sink to ground,  isn't that exactly what the Ten Tec
loop is doing when Q11 conducts on the Omni Control
Board,  Fig. 4-18,  pg. 4-17 of the VI+ manual??  Or,
perhaps it is the exact opposite in the Omni:  lifted
from gnd.   as the transmit signal within the keying
loop.  No way to know which way it is from the schematic,
at least I don't see it.  But in reading the above  quoted
text,  it would seem that Q11 conducts when the key
acknowledge signal is present,  thus providing the
"virtual" key closure to gnd.

Anyway,  I am still not getting this set up to operate QSK.

73,   Jim,  KH7M
same back to