[TenTec] Re: fix for Omni

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: fix for Omni
From: Steve Ellington" <n4lq@iglou.com (Steve Ellington)
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 17:10:04 -0400

>flat, linear range of the 2.4 kHz filter.  When in the FSK mode, CW still
>functions exactly the way it does in its normal mode, including the
>integrator for waveshaping.  The CW note will sound better on another
>receiver when keying in FSK

Yes, indeed I remember running this test with the 2 Omni 6's I had and the
keying in FSK mode sounded beautiful.

>Here's another test for the adventurous: Remove the 9 MHz @ 2.4 kHz crystal
>and jumper it with a small piece of wire.  Now, critically listen on
another
>receiver while in the CW mode.

What about using a diode switch to kick in a resistor across that xtal
filter when the rig is keyed inorder to broaden the bandwidth? This would be
a really simple mod.

Is it possible that the chirp on the leading edge is somewhat weaker than
the desired carrier thus masking it during a poor communications path?

What effect do you think keying speed has? The bandwith of the composite
signal would be greater. Would this move the chirp out past the skirt of the
filter to a point that it isn't noticed?

Steve Ellington
Amateur Radio Operator N4LQ