[TenTec] clutter

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] clutter
From: k5pgw@linknet.net (k5pgw@linknet.net)
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 21:45:33
Hello all: I realize that I am asking for personal attacks when I express
the following, but in keeping with my suggestion, please attack me
DIRECTLY, and don't burden everyone on the reflector with your
thoughts......................
SO HERE GOES... I have nine thousand replies to the question about keying
an Alpha 87A amplifier with an Omni VI, most of which didn't work. The
complaint is that I DIDN'T ASK AND DIDN'T REALLY WANT TO KNOW !!!! MY OMNI
VI WITH ALL UPGRADES WORKS GREAT WITH ALL FIVE OF MY 2 KW AMPLIFIERS !!!!!

I have six (6) Ten Tec transceivers and if I ask for help, I would
appreciate a direct email reply. JUST BECAUSE I WANT TO KNOW SOMETHING,
DOESN'T MEAN THAT EVERYONE ELSE ON THE REFLECTOR WANTS TO KNOW !!!  All I'm
asking is that restraint be practiced  and economy be practiced so that
busy people can benefit from and enjoy the reflector also.

I unsubscribed from two boatanchor reflectors because I didn't want to know
EVERYONE'S opinion on how to wrinkle black paint and clean old bakelite
knobs and hear the controversy between the hundreds of gurus on why their
way was better. If I ask on the reflector how to do thus and so, I would
expect a DIRECT EMAIL RESPONSE, and if "Joe TenTec Owner" is interested in
knowing what I learned, because he has a similar interest, then he can
email me direct and learn  what I found out and actually get the most
reasonable and correct answer.

I once posted a ten tec inquiry about a transceiver throwing the reset
breaker upon being keyed up without drive being applied and specifically
STATED THAT THE POWER SUPPLY WAS NOT AT FAULT BECAUSE THE SUPPLY HAD BEEN
TESTED ON OTHER TEN TEC TRANSCEIVERS (and worked fine)  AND THE FINAL
AMPLIFIER WAS NOT AT FAULT (no shorted final transistors) BECAUSE THE FINAL
BRICK HAD BEEN PUT ON OTHER TRANSCEIVERS AND WORKED GREAT..............and
believe it or not,...I GOT DOZENS OF RESPONSES THAT I SHOULD CHECK THE
POWER SUPPLY AND DOZENS THAT SUGGESTED THAT I CHECK THE POWER SUPPLY....
read my inquiry fully and correctly, so obviously the responses would be of
no value to all other reflector subscribers.
Incidentally, I never received a helpful suggestion as to what the problem
was.

The foregoing isn't meant to be critical for hateful reasons or to cause
confusion, but is meant to get responders on the reflector to think before
they "broadcast" their replies to posting. I have been away from home for
several days and had as many as 1,200 email messages from the several
reflectors I subscribe to because I have Drake, Heath, Collins, Amp Supply,
Gonset, Cubic, Ten Tec, Hallicrafters, military test equiptment, and
boatanchors. Can you imagine downloading, reading and deleting that many
messages and only saving a few of them???

If I can be of any help to any of you, feel free to email me directly and I
will respond directly to you.   73, JOHN, K5PGW for over 40 years