[TenTec] Omni V controls and Corsair II

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni V controls and Corsair II
From: LOMAX1@prodigy.net (frank ayers jr)
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 19:46:41 -0400
Jerry wrote in part -

> My serious use for such a radio is with transverters for VHF. Around here
(about 15 miles
>from the Boondocks), you never know whether the next signal you hear is
going to be on
>CW or SSB and my experiences with a couple Yeasu VHF/UHF multimodes that
shift the
>frequency similarly has not been good. I've lost a significant number of
potential contacts
>by hearing only the tail end of a CQ and then having to change mode and
repair the stupid
>shift... which I rarely do correctly.

This is also a problem I have. On HF you tend to have the "CW" part and the
"SSB" part of each band so once you are in one mode you tend to stay there.
On VHF there usually is no such distinction. You may be on 2 meters at
144.190 doing USB and find a CW station 10 KHz up from that. During the
last VHF contest I lost a few contacts switching to CW only to lose the
station. I eventually switched over to an FT101ZD as my IF rig just because
the tone on SSB is the same as on CW - you just switch modes. If somebody
has a fix for this I'd like to know about it. I'd prefer to use just one
rig for both HF and VHF/UHF.

Frank
W2FCA