[TenTec] Zero Beat

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Zero Beat
From: ac5aa@juno.com (Duane A. Calvin)
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 21:39:49 -0500
Sometimes being off frequency is intentional, not accidental.  If I'm
chasing a DX station and the stations he's working are offset from his
frequency, say, 100-200 Hz (this is common), then I'm going to use my
XIT/RIT to zero beat the guy he's talking to and come back right on his
frequency when he's done.  The desired station doesn't have to retune -
he's already got his attention focussed on the signal on this frequency.
This is an old DX'ers trick (at least, this old DX'er does it!).  If
there is no large pile, I'll opt for his frequency, just on the odds that
he resets his RIT to zero more often than not.   This is not to be
confused with "split" which is typically 1 kHz or more offset.  Still, I
like to use my Omni VI+'s XIT for this function, and I anxiously await a
new firmware load from TenTec that cures the error on calculating RIT/XIT
offsets when the momentary "REV" switch is used.  (This error will put
you 200-300 Hz off if you use the "REV" switch to zero beat with while
XIT is on.)

        73,  Duane   AC5AA

On Thu, 22 Oct 1998 18:41:17 PDT "Joe Marrah" <n8jm@hotmail.com> writes:

>I've been doing a lot more listening than QSOing lately and I must
>say it is very rare to hear two stations that are on the same
>frequency.
>Good luck zero beating. It will be appreciated by anyone
>who is listening to both sides of a QSO.
>
>Joe/N8JM

Duane A. Calvin, AC5AA
ac5aa@Juno.com -or- ac5aa@iolusa.com
Day:  dacalvin@us.ibm.com