[TenTec] Paragon Battery Backup

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Paragon Battery Backup
From: kg5u@hal-pc.org (Dale L. Martin)
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 22:19:03 -0600
Thanks to all who responded to my query about current drain of
the backup battery in the Paragon.

The Paragon is our HF transceiver in the Emergency Operations
Center at work.  It gets used so infrequently (once a week for
radio checks) that using batteries for memory backup was out of
the question--it's hard enough finding batteries for our pagers
and test equipment we use regularly!

My question was sparked while I was fabricating a battery backup
replacement using a wallwart (9v-dc), a 47uf/50v elec. cap., and
a 1n4005 diode and feeding it in to the Paragon through the
DB25/RS232 port of the Paragon.

I installed the mod in the Paragon at work today and it works
great.  Tomorrow, I'll check out the current drain with a DVM.

Thanks again for the info.

73,
dale, kg5u
http://www.hal-pc.org/~kg5u