[TenTec] 1320 QRP transceiver kit problem

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] 1320 QRP transceiver kit problem
From: Oglesby2@IX.netcom.com (John Oglesby - N9RE)
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 16:15:41 -0500
Matt - This is usually caused by an improper number of turns on the
output PI network inductors.  I had the same, identical problem with my
1330.  The coil winding instructions can lead you to put one too many
turns on the coils.  This will be stable into a 50 Ohm resistive load,
but any reactance causes the amplifier to take off.  I swore that I
hadn't made any mistake, but when I checked I found out that I had
neglected to count the turns as the number of turns through the coil
center.  I had mistakenly counted those around the outside edge.  This
means that the first entry into the coil caounts as a turn, so what
would seem to be one turn is really two when you complete the loop
through the form.  Seems like a long explaination, but after discussing
with tentec, they confirmed that this is the usual cause for this
problem.

Hope this helps, 73 - John