[TenTec] 200W on Triton?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] 200W on Triton?
From: Rovasw@tacom.army.mil (Rovas, William)
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 07:27:36 -0500
Good Morning Gang,
   Thought I would ad my 2 cents to the Triton comments.....  After the
Argonaut 509 (QRP), TenTec came out with the Triton I which was about 50
watts output.  Triton II and Triton IV (540/544) followed.  They were rated
at 100 watts output.
   TenTec usually sent them to the field with about 95 watts output.  Anyone
who was upset with the output, could tweak one of the pots to increase
output to their satisfaction.  I tweaked one to about 125 watts output, and
chose not to go any further.
   I felt the additional power was necessary to compensate for the untuned
input in a linear amplifier which cut back xcvr output due to a higher swr
input.  It met my needs.  If you increase the power output beyond the 100
watt range, it may be advisable to use a 12 volt cooling fan on the heat
sink.  Remember, heat kills transistors (and tubes)...
   Triton II and IV series were and still are fine general performance rigs.
I had numerous compliments on the quality of ssb audio from hams that I
worked.  Upon finding out that it was a Triton II or IV, their comment was
'who made that rig?'  Hams were visibly shaken that it wasn't a Kenwood/Icom
or Yaesu rig.  I still was able to break numerous DX pileups while running
barefoot.  Rigs were also great for cw xmt and ssb/cw receive....
   I have seen several of the older Tritons at swaps covered with dirt and
preserved by nicotine coatings.  Hams just walk on by....  Little do they
realize what wonderful and economically priced packages they are passing by.
They are not perfect (lack crow bar protection on power supply, etc...) but
they are a cost effective way to ham....  A friend swears by an Analog
version Triton IV (540) for field day operation during the past 4 years.
Results they achieved at 5 watts output to a bird watt meter resulted in
their station placing in the top level on 80 mtr field day CW.
   Mike, I suggest you set that ALC power out level to 100 watts and enjoy
operating the rig.  A
73's  de  Bill, WA1APX/8