[TenTec] OMNI VI 1000 Hz Filter ?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] OMNI VI 1000 Hz Filter ?
From: jreid@aloha.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 10:31:31 -1000
You wrote:

>Do any other c.w. ops using the OMNI VI ever wish for an intermediate
>filter between the wide 1.8 and the narrow 500hz, for use when "tuning
>around"?  I have a (non-Ten-Tec) rig with a 1.0Khz filter which is
>excellent, and have often wished for something similar for my Pride and
>Joy.  Have exchanged emails with George, at INRAD, and they can make a
>1.0khz filter, for the 9.0mhz I.F., for $US110.00.  However, there is a
>minimum order of five (5), sooo, does anybody else want to join me on
>this?

Aloha,

Well now,  I have just finished installing some $330 of INRAD's
filters in my "new" OmniVI+.  I was astonished at how excellent the
combination of the new 400Hz, 8 pole INRAD # 753 at 9 MHz performed
with the NR DSP during the CQWW CW test.  I could sit directly
between very strong signals on 15 meters,  and copy signals that
were,  say  4x4,  etc.  Just amazing.  Was not too sure the 250 Hz
filters added much.  Would/could the new 1000Hz filter replace
the 250Hz  Ten Tec # 221 in the 9 MHz IF?  And would that be
a good idea.

I have the INRAD 250 Hz, # 751,  and 400Hz, #700 in the
6.3 MHz IF channel;  these are both also 8 pole filters.

How  many poles is the new proposed 1000 Hz filter to be
at 9 MHz?

Thanks much and 73,
Jim,  KH7M
On the Garden Island of Kauai