[TenTec] improved audio from 961 speaker & pwr supply

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] improved audio from 961 speaker & pwr supply
From: talbot@kmrmail.kmr.ll.mit.edu (George Arthur Talbot)
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 13:12:43 +1200 (KST)
Faithful Ten Tecers,

At 03:54 PM 12/11/98 PST, you wrote:

>I purchased a used 962 power supply and even though forewarned, I was
>disappointed in the audio quality from the internal speaker.

<snip>

>The cabinet was vibrating at various
>mechanical resonance modes drawing energy from the speaker and because
>of the mechanical Q of the cabinet was adding kazoo like sounds to the
>audio when hitting resonant peaks.
>
>   The solution I pursued was to purchase some acoustically dead steel
>(I'll refer to it as ADS) from Small Parts Inc.

<snip>

MCM Electronics has stick on "sound deadener pads", $.99 for 10 by 10 inch
piece p/n 60-2010.

Cruchfield has "Dynamat", $19.95 for 32.5 by 19.5 inch piece p/n 1546211433.

Mouser (800-346-6873) may have similar products.

These are stick on acoustic materials used in Automotive Stereo
installations to deaden vibration and road noise by sticking to the car's
sheet metal.

These may be used to stick inside the 961's cabinet and deaden it from all
it's mechanical resonances.

I must order and try some.

George V73GT