[TenTec] RE: Equipment recomendations for CW gear?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] RE: Equipment recomendations for CW gear?
From: alex.ai2q@worldnet.att.net (Alex Mendelsohn)
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 11:14:26 -0500
Hi Tom:

First off: good luck in all your new quests!

Now then, I'm a bit of an iconoclast, but I enjoy using a good old fashioned
semiautomatic key. Presently I use an old Ted MacElroy "mac" key--and it's a
dream.

When I started out in ham radio in the late 1950s, everyone used a bug of
one sort or another. I started building electronic keyers years ago, and
even owned a keyboard (!) for awhile, but always gravitate back to a bug. I
have many in my collection, including old Martins, Vibroplexes, Johnsons,
macs, Japanese versions, military types--even an old Go-Devil.

Mu suggestion is to get a good solid American made straight key like a J-38,
screw it down to the operating posiiton table, and get good at it (stay away
from Radio Shack junk keys). Then migrate to a Vibroplex--which you can find
at flea markets. If you get the hang of it, you'll join the dwindling group
of OTs that like to preserve some of the art of CW sending. If you can't
master it, sell it to me! HI HI.

Avoid cheap "knock-off" straight keys. There are some awful ones out
there--even those equipped with ball bearings.

If you go with a keyer, there are some excellent paddles out there. IMHO the
best is the Mercury paddle built by my old and now departed (SK) friend
"Dan" Steve Nurkiwicz, N2DAN. I think you'll be hard pressed to find one,
although I hear someone has bought the rights to make them from Steve's YF.

By the way, in my many QSOs with Dan (for a period of time he was a neighbor
who lived a mile away), he always complimented me on my sending and said
that I should not ever even think of using a keyer. he appreciated the art
form of bug sending and praised me for using it as I did--and still do
(wanna sked?)

Be forewarned: all keyers sound alike. If you don't mind sounding like a
robot, you can send some mighty fine--and very fast--code with a keyer.

BTW: If you want to "test" your ability to send with a bug, see if you can
get a CW program to copy it! If it cannot, that may NOT mean you're
improperly using a bug, but it's a fun test nonetheless. My point is that
you can send WELL with a bug--and have a distinguishable "swing."

Vy 73, AI2Q, Alex in Kennebunk, Maine .-.-.

PS: the Omni-V is a really nice rig. I use one every day here. I think
you'll like it.
-------