[TenTec] Paragon, Omni, etc.

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Paragon, Omni, etc.
From: pinskeep@iglou.com (Peter Inskeep)
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 1998 14:33:26 -0500
Rick,
I have an Omni VI Plus new this summer, which replaced my venerable TT Delta
580,
which I ran (flawlessly) for about 16 years - also new when I got it.  The only
place when the the Delta measured up was in qsk.  I could hear the other station
between my dots and dashes just as well at up to 35 wpm (not that I send that
fast very often or very well) with the Delta.  In fact, the Delta may have been
bit smoother in that department.  The Omni VI with a 500 hz filter in the 9 mhz.
IF and a 250 mhz. filter in the 6.3 mhz IF beats the Delta for selectivity.  The
Omni wins the sensitivity comparison hands down.  It is as if the bands just
opened up when the Omni got plugged into the same antenna.

Pushing the "nr" digital filter button on the Omni will make a morse code signal
leap out of the background, which I may otherwise have been virtually unable to
copy.  In the 6.3 mhz if I run the 250, 500 and 1.8 filters.  I run 500 and 1.8
in the 9 mhz. if.  Some have said that I could get more selectivity if I ran the
250 hz filter at 9 mhz., but my discussions with the techies at TT suggested
that
I would not gain that much, so I stuck with the 500 hz filter since I have the
250 in the other IF.  I don't use the 1.8 khz filter in the 9 mhz IF that much,
but it is there when I need it.  Audio quality on SSB does degrade when both 1.8
khz filters are in line, but one can copy what is said.

I also liked the outboard vfo on the Delta 580, and used it a lot when I chased
DX.  If I can find the room on my desk I may put the Delta 580 out there as an
aux. receiver just for picking out the one station that a DXer is responding to.
The PBT is useful more on ssb than CW, but probably only because I have the
narrow filters and don't seem to need to use it.

All in all, the Omni VI is a wonderful rig and I have enjoyed every moment I
have
had it.  It has performed flawlessly, especially with some of the good
other-side-of-the-world DX available of late on 20 meters.  I don't think you
could go wrong with one, new or used.

Best of luck in what you do decide to get.  Best holiday greetings.

Pete, NO2D
Pewee Valley, KY.