[TenTec] question on things

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] question on things
From: geraldj@ames.net (Dr. Gerald N. Johnson, P.E.)
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 16:36:57 -0600
There are two, the 1208 and the 1209. About $120 in kit form. the 1208
use 20m as the IF, the 1209 uses 2m as the IF. They run about 8 watts
output, need about 5 watts drive. I have a 1209. There are things about
it that I intend to change, such as separating receive and transmit on
both ends, making them hard keyed instead of rf keyed... Reboxing so it
is shielded to only hear computer noises from the antenna, not from the
receive converter too.

I have no idea if the omnis can be made to tell you about a transverter
band. Only the Omni V has a tranverter jack and its not at a power level
compatible with the 1208. Worse, on VHF CW and SSB are mixed. SSB is
universally upper sideband while the Omni V and VI run CW on LSB. That's
intolerable. That's why I will be using a 1210 for 2m with my recently
acquired Corsair II which does not do such a mode switching stupidity.
Then I'll run the 1209 from the 1210. I will be modifying the 1210 for
lower transmit drives as well as separating receive and transmit and
controlling the entire setup for proper antenna and final relay and
sequencing to protect external relays and preamps. I'll use some rice
box multiband for FM, use the transverters strictly for CW, SSB and
maybe satellite but satellite use is debateable. I expect far superior
receive performance to what I get with the FT-726 and FT-736.

I bought the connectors for the power cable from Mouser and built my own
cable complete with polarity protection and a relay so I can turn the
Corsair on and off from the front panel switch. That switch is used with
the tentec supplies to switch the AC, its not sturdy enough to switch
the DC for the radio direct.

73, Jerry, K0CQ