[TenTec] Grease

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Grease
From: k5pgw@linknet.net (k5pgw@linknet.net)
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 20:03:44
Hello fellow Ten Tec fans: After reading all the comments about the grease
for the Ten Tec PTOs it finally  dawned on me that I had a similar
experience with a Swan/Cubic MX 100 solid state mobile rig with a  PTO. I
don't remember why I changed the grease on the PTO screw, but I did and the
factory recommended white lithium grease similar to LUBRIPLATE. A company
named WHITE also packages a white lithium grease similar to LUBRIPLATE. The
white lithium grease does not become stiff in cold weather and seems to
stay on the shaft/screw well.

Cubic told me that if I didn't use that type of grease on the PTO screw
that the rig would warble and jump around while tuning. They were right!!!
I put the Lubriplate on the screw and the tuning was smooth as silk and the
signal didn't warble when tuning. The white lithium grease doesn't melt and
run off or get hard. Since I have had experience with that PTO and that
grease, I thought I would throw the experience out for your consideration.
I have not tried it on any of my five TEN TEC transceivers with PTOs
because none of them have needed it. I have a remote VFO for my Triton 544
that is brand new, used maybe three times, been on shelf for years and the
PTO is so stiff that the vernier will not turn the PTO shaft. I will
probably have to disassemble it and re grease it. I wonder what TEN TEC
would say about using white lithium grease such as LUBRIPLATE instead of
RED WAGON AXLE GREASE. If you ask and find out please share their comments
with me.

Incidentally, LUBRIPLATE white lithium grease is used by engine builders to
coat the cylinder walls and pistons of engines including race car engines
for protection at initial startup. It has been long recommended for use in
antenna rotators such as HY GAIN-CDR types especially in cold climates
because it doesn't harden or gel in extreme cold weather and lasts a very
long time.

Let me know your thoughts on this.  73, John, K5PGW (since 1958)