[TenTec] PTO Grease

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] PTO Grease
From: ac5am1@juno.com (Bob Stolzle)
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 03:19:21 -0600
Hello again all,

The grease may well be the problem but I have had at least 4 Ten Tec
digital readout
rigs and 3 of the 4 had the "jitter" or warble problem. Had 5 Ten Tec
rigs with dial cord.
and none had the "jitters". The Argonaut 505 got so hard to tune when
cold that I had
to clean out the old grease (which was green) that was hard and sticky
and very hard
to clean. Still, it did not have the "jitters" only major slippage when
tuning while room
temp low.. I replace the grease with the red grease supplied by Ten Tec
and it has
worked perfectly ever since..

Next PTO I rebuild will try the Dow 44 lubricant. That stuff if great
when temp change
is a factor... I still would be leery of using anything but Ten Tec
supplied grease on the
worm gear and ferrite core. Petroleum products may break down the ferrite
core or
change it in some way... just a thought...

Anyway I think a good grease is needed where the bearings meet the race
and the
shaft to keep it lubricated so scoring won't take place and really mess
it up...
I know this is the area of my "jitter" problems because at times I would
only take out
the PTO and repack grease around the bearings.. doing nothing else and
the "jitter"
would be gone for a few weeks...

73, Bob  AC5AM    (ex. K5QYY vintage 1958)

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]