[TenTec] LADDER FILTERS?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] LADDER FILTERS?
From: n4lq@iglou.com (Steve Ellington)
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 16:02:13 -0500 (EST)
I've noticed that most of the "homebrew" projects use ladder filters
mainly because they are cheap and easy to build. All of the crystals are
the same frequency and many projects used the 3.51mhz colorburst xtal from
tv sets.

My question is, why did TenTec choose to use Ladder type filtering from
the beginning? Even the Triton series used it. Did they think it was
superior to Lattice filtering or was it a cost saving idea?

To my knowledge, TT is the only company that uses Ladder filtering. It so
happens that I like the way it responds to cw. There is certainly less
ringing with narrow ladder filters than with the more expensive and
difficult to design lattice filters.

Given this information, why does everyone else use lattice filters? Are
they superior for SSB reception thus reducing distortion?

Steve Ellington N4LQ
N4LQ@IGLOU.COM