[TenTec] Question about Omni V "N.B.", and a comment...

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Question about Omni V "N.B.", and a comment...
From: tscott@eni.net (Tom Scott)
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 20:09:19 -0800
Okay, I have another question for the marvelous collective experience in
this group.

I am still getting to know my "new" (to me) Omni V. The one control that
most befuddles me is the Noise Blanker. I think I understand how it ought to
work -- and honestly -- I am not completely deaf! But I have never yet heard
any effect at all from switching it on or off, or adjusting the width
control.

I should add that I haven't yet gotten a very suitable station set up. I'm
working on that as I get time, but in the meantime I'm working with a 120'
sloped wire (85' to 8') tuned as best I can with my Johnson Matchbox, and a
rather mediocre ground. This is purely a temporary setup because I was too
impatient to hear "something" out of my new radio to wait until I could get
all the lines and supports up. Even with this very poor setup, I can hear
WWV (barely) and can often pickup very clear QSO's, both SSB and CW. I would
think that if ever the N.B. would be helpful it might be with the very weak
signals and heavy QRN I'm trying to dig signals out of.

Is there something that I don't understand about this N.B. circuit, such as
that it requires a pretty clean signal before I'll hear the effect and then
it will be very helpful, or is my N.B. just probably not functioning
correctly?

I've tried the obvious tack of "exercising" the switch to clean up the
contacts, several of my front panel switches were initially non-functional
due to long lack of use, and all others have responded well to that
treatment. But after quite a bit of "pushbutton aerobics" it is still
unresponsive.

Can somebody enlighten me?  THANKS!!!

PS: I would like to add the comment that I for one am finding the discussion
of the Omni VI CW note-quality, VERY fascinating. I do not consider it
tedious or a poor use of this bandwidth, or unreasonable complaining. As
this discussion has unraveled, I have learned a great deal from several
individuals who have obviously gone to considerable time and effort to
investigate the theoretical and actual operation of the Omni radios. Even
though "note-quality discrimination" to this degree is probably "gilding the
lily" to my "neophyte CW ear", I have a lot of respect for those whose
experience leads them to have more discriminating ears than mine. The
discussion has been fascinating to me. Please continue if there is more that
is useful to say. (My two cents worth, your exchange rate may vary).

- Tom
       Tom Scott     -    Wyle Electronics    -    KD7DMH
       10300 SW Nimbus Ave #PB, Portland, OR 97223
       503-603-1931 - TEL   503-684-6620 - FAX
       503-504-1583 - Cell    503-604-8651 - Pager